Monday, October 7, 2013

My Wife’s 3 Incredible Gut Punches

Today I would like to share with you three lessons I learned from my wife. I call them her incredible gut punches. They are the key to the success of our marriage of 20 years.

In today’s ultra-competitive environment our success and advancement is based on our on individual ability or achievement. The growth of social medias such as Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Linkedin plays a significant role in relevance of creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship in our new world. These are key differences between the haves and the have nots, high income and lower income. It the difference between rich and poor!

There are other important factors that contribute to success. Margarent Wente in her article in The Globe and Mail on Sunday titled “Victorian values for the 21st century” alluded to the fact that in future there will be a lot more work requiring as attention to detail, good interpersonal relationship skills, ability to work in teams, calm and steady temperament. Fareed Zakaria in a commencement speech at Harvard University in 2012 that is posted on Youtube noted that intelligence, hard work, discipline and courage are the virtues that has been honoured and rewarded for thousands of years. The key point is the factors for success have not changed.

After 20 years of marriage I have learned three incredible lessons from my wife which are equally important to success. The first lesson for me is the importance of self-regulation. My wife punches me in the gut every time when it comes to self-regulation. Self-regulation is the processes that enable you to guide your goal-directed activities over time and across changing circumstances. With each challenges my wife faces I cannot help but admire how her process of self-regulation is initiated to make adjustment. She is able to swiftly adopt or even change direction to ensure that our goals are on target. Take for example this morning when we arrived at the Brampton GO Train Terminal for her 7.20AM train to Toronto Union Station and learned of a train derailment. While my initial thoughts were okay let us head back home, she promptly said let us find the next GO Station where the train are still in operations.

The second important lesson for me is the importance of conscientiousness that is the importance of being thorough, careful, or vigilant. My wife kicks me in the butt with her innate desire to doing a task well. As a 21st century working mother she is efficient, organized, neat, and systematic. She has a high level of self-discipline, carefulness and thoroughness and self-organization. My wife is incredibly organised. On the other hand I leave my clothes all over and I can never find my socks. My tendency to think carefully before acting is my wife’s interpretation of procrastination. In my chaotic and disorganised world my wife is like 911 or 1-800-HELP! My wife has an incredible ability to multi-task. She is like the conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra with her grace, elegance and diligence.

Speaking of diligence, my wife cracks my nuts when it comes to diligence that is steady, earnest, energetic application and effort required to achieve specific tasks. Catching five minutes of Toronto Maple Leafs opening game against the Ottawa Senators is like being a sluggard. My wife is diligent when it comes to perform goal oriented tasks. She is attentive, persistent and consistent whatever she set out to do.

The three incredible lessons relevant to success that I have learned from my wife of 20 years are the importance of self-regulation, conscientiousness and diligence. What have you learned from your spouse?

Mark McKenzie is a leading Subject Matter Expert in financial services regulation and supervision as well as a professional motivational speaker, corporate trainer and youth mentor.  He can be contacted by email mastbmckenzie@gmail.com or by telephone 647-406-4622. Read my blog http://mastbmckenzie.blogspot.ca/ and always write me a comment and share. Follow me on Twitter @mackynacky. Connect with me on www.youtube.com, Google+, Facebook and Linkedin.

No comments: