Friday, June 19, 2009

Campaign Against Teen Violence in Schools

Today I am launching a campaign against teen violence in schools across the GTA. A week ago I had my own experience relating to both a school and law enforcement about an incident involving my teen daughter. I was not in position to determine whether or not comments made on Facebook could escalate into actual violence. I was dismayed by the casual approach taken by both law enforcement and the school. I left felt if I had an opportuntiy to speak with the parent of the offending child I would have being much more satisfied. I know that my own children are likely to make mistakes or act inappropriate at some point in time. Even as an adult I still make mistakes or act inappropriately. However the critical difference between a responsible adult and a teen is the ability to recognise when, where, or how one acted inappropriately or made a mistake. The recent violence at one of the schools in my neighbourhood has added fuel to my conviction that public policies realting to teen violence in school across the GTA need to be re-examined. It is against this background that I have decided that to transform my blog into a campaign against teen violence in schools across the GTA.

No comments: