Tuesday, October 8, 2013

5 Wonderful Benefits of Community Involvement

Last night I had the wonderful privilege as Area Governor of hosting Toastmasters International Area 67 Table Topics and Humourous Speech Contests at the Guelph Community Health Centre. I have been a member of Toastmasters International for more than ten years. The primary benefit of the Toastmasters program is that it allows members to develop and hone their communication and leadership skills. Other than that my involvement in the Toastmasters program allows to truly get involved in my community to share and reap the benefits of sharing.

Today I would like to share five wonderful benefits of sharing based on my community activities. First you get to meet some of the most wonderful people in your community. For example, for my event last night in Guelph I met two beautiful ladies who invested their time and efforts to ensuring that all the members and guests had a memorable experience. If I was not involved in my community I would never have met Isabel and Grace. They are both caring and compassion.

Being involved in my community I learn more about other cultures. For example last night Harry shared his experience growing up with his sisters on a farm in Canada. He shared stories of the funny things they did for entertainment when television pictures were still black and white and there were only three channels. For me I could not help reflecting on how similar his childhood was to mine growing up in rural Jamaica. The truth is we have a lot more in common with each as there are differences between us.

Through my involvement in the community I have made friends who I am confident will last me a life time. For example, I spoke with Neil over the phone last week and I knew then he was a great guy and then I met him in person last night and he is even more awesome as friend.

I also get the opportunity to practice my teaching skills, develop community outreach skills and contribute towards growth of my community and its future.  However, my greatest pleasure from my community involvement is seeing the sense of satisfaction and excitement on the face of those who I have inspired and empowered. For example I first met Tyler in June when he was inducted as the President of Royal City Toastmasters Club. He chaired our Table Topics Contest last night. This was his first time chairing a Toastmasters Area Contest and he performed admirable and professional. At the end of the night when I spoke with Tyler he was elated and was already planning for the next time he had to chair an Area contest.
Yesterday I drove 45 minutes from Brampton, Ontario to Guelph, Ontario and spend about 3 hours with some wonderful people because of the benefits I derived from my community involvement. You too can share these benefits by getting involved.

Mark McKenzie is a leading Subject Matter Expert in financial services regulation and supervision as well as a professional motivational speaker, corporate trainer and youth mentor.  He can be contacted by email mastbmckenzie@gmail.com or by telephone 647-406-4622. Read my blog  http://mastbmckenzie.blogspot.ca/ and always write me a comment and share. Follow me on Twitter @mackynacky. Connect with me on www.youtube.com, Google+, Facebook and Linkedin.

No comments: