Thursday, October 31, 2013

Creepy Scary Rolling Calf and the Blackheart Man

Happy Halloween!

I grew up in rural Jamaica in the 1970s and at that time I did not know about Halloween. In fact, I only learned about Halloween in the late 1990s or early in the new millennium.

My grandmother was a subsistence farmer and one of her crops was coffee. Once the coffee beans were dried, my grandmother would parch them in two or three enormously large Dutch pots on the wood fire in the kitchen. On these occasions, the aroma of rich coffee scent filled the air. To this day I am still amazed how more than a dozen of my cousins and I fitted into a poorly ventilated, smoked-filled shanty kitchen not suited for more than two or three people. As my cousins and I watched my grandmother, we would listen to my grandmother and uncles stories about the trickster Anancy which I found funny and stories about the creepy scary rolling calf and the blackheart man which terrified the living daylight out of me.

My grandmother had been told the stories by her parents, children of slaves, who received their unrestricted freedom after emancipation on August 1, 1838. The stories came to Jamaica through the Atlantic slave trade from the west coast of Africa and served as part of the therapy for centuries of hideous crimes. During storytelling time it was not uncommon for my grandmother and uncles to breakout singing popular Jamaican folksongs like for “Hill and Gully Rider Oh” and “Come, Mister tally man, tally me banana” or "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)," a traditional Jamaican mento folk song, the best-known version of which was sung by Harry Belafonte.

The folklore tale about scary rolling calf and the creepy blackheart man scared the hell out of me as child. As a boy living in the rural countryside, at nights I was terrified of the headless rolling calf, a monstrous calf-like creature with blazing red eyes that gash fire, pulling a carriage with dangling chains making an unnerving clanking noise. From my experience the rolling calf had very wicked intentions and I was a prime candidate to be abducted from the face of the earth by the evil rolling calf especially when I was mischievous. If night times were bad, daytimes were just as scary as the evil wicked blackheart man driving on scary black hearse without a steering wheel would always be lurking around looking for children like me.

As a child the stories I heard were not told every day. They were usually told just around dusk when night is about to fall and there are dark pitch black clouds in sky. Rain drops are pelting the zinc roof and the children can see the shadow of the banana tree leafs moving from side to side because of the gusty wind.
Tonight is Halloween. It is all about Marisa dressing up as Ariel the Princess and Mermaid for ‘trick or treat’. For me I will be on the lookout for the creepy scary rolling calf and the blackheart man that I know will be lurking somewhere outside. Yes, those evil bastards are here in Brampton, Ontario and I know they will be coming out tonight for me.

But you wait and see I have a plan for the rolling calf and the blackheart man. Tonight if I do come across the evil rolling calf or the blackheart man I will definitely try Louise Bennett-Covelly, Jamaican folklorist, playwright and author saying "Jack Mandora, me no chose none" and hope that Jack Mandora, the doorman at Heaven’s door, know that I have no wicked ways.

And tonight if Jack Mandora does not rescue me Usain Bolt would not have enough speed to catch because to as paraphrase the tunes and lyrics of Ernie Smith’s “Duppy or Gunman”:

If it is a rolling calf or blackheart man,
I man not going to wait to find out
I will be so frightened
My feet will not even be hitting the ground
All Marisa’s name I am likely to forget

Happy Halloween!


Mark McKenzie is a leading Subject Matter Expert in financial services regulation and supervision as well as a professional motivational speaker, corporate trainer and youth mentor.  He can be contacted by email mastbmckenzie@gmail.com or by telephone 647-406-4622. Read my blog  http://mastbmckenzie.blogspot.ca/ and always write me a comment and share. Follow me on Twitter @mackynacky. Connect with me on www.youtube.com, Google+, Facebook and Linkedin.

No comments: