Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Pair of Orange Shoes - A Symbol of Excellence

I frequently find myself thinking about excellence. Success in our careers, finances or personal lives is all about striving for excellence. What then is excellence? I would say excellence is something that is outstanding and easily identifiable. For example, few days ago I went to run some errands including going to the bank. While parking my car I glimpsed a pair of elegant orange shoes stepping inside the bank. The split seconds I had to see the pair of elegant orange shoes was enough to plant in my mind that they were truly an amazing pair of shoes and one I am confident Imelda Marcos would have love to add to her almost three thousand collection of shoes. The quality of a person’s shoes is very often considered as symbol of wealth and sophistication. The pair of elegant orange shoes that I saw was distinguished and easily identifiable, and clearly a symbol of excellence. Consequently, my first reaction to the pair of elegant orange shoes was that I wanted to see person whose feet worn those elegant orange shoes. I wanted to ask the person wearing the shoes to allow me to picture for my social media update. I am presumptuous individual. However, I am not a stalker or paparazzi. Once inside the bank it was easy for me to grace my eyes on the pair of elegant orange shoes. The pair of elegant orange shoes was being worn by someone I know – a friend and a truly wonderful person. A key point about excellence is that it causes us to scrutinize others and to be scrutinized by others much closer. My split seconds glance at the pair of elegant orange shoes stepping inside the bank and concluding it was a symbol of excellence was enough for me to take a closer look at who was wearing it. I share this story to encourage you standout and shine like an elegant pair of orange shoes. Strive for excellence in your careers, finances and personal lives. To do this set your mission and goals. This is simply a set of guiding principles which clearly state where you are going and where you want to be at specific times in your life. A mission statement embodies your values. It is your personal lighthouse that helps to keep you steadily on the course of your dreams and goals. Whatever the mission statement of your life, refine it and review it regularly. Once you have set your mission and goals it is imperative to act on your goals. I encourage you to strive for excellence in you careers, finances and personal lives. Standout like a beacon and be like my friend’s pair of elegant bright orange shoes. Be distinguished and easily identifiable as the hallmark of excellence. Mark McKenzie is a leading Subject Matter Expert in financial services regulation and supervision as well as a professional motivational speaker, corporate trainer and youth mentor. He can be contacted by email mastbmckenzie@gmail.com or by telephone 647-406-4622.

No comments: