Monday, September 23, 2013

Helping Others

Hello, I trust that you had a wonderful weekend and wish you a joyous and prosperous week.

Today I would like to share with you my thoughts on the importance of helping others especially those who are less fortunate than us.  My thoughts are motivated primarily by two stories in the news this weekend.  The first item of news relates to the terror that unfolded at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya.  I am particularly touched by this situation and feel a deep sense of sadness for all the innocent victims and families affected. Although I have never worked in Kenya my job frequently takes me outside of Canada to places Africa, Eastern Europe and Asia. As an expatriate worker it is easy for me to see myself in a place such as Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya.  Beyond being an expatriate worker most of us can relate to the reasons people were at the mall in Kenya on Saturday. For these reasons I am particularly sad when I hear about such atrocities and terror.  I also feel helpless.

The second story in the media that touched me this weekend relates to news about two Canadian teen brothers jailed in Somaliland.  According to the news report Liiban, 18, and Jamal, 15 both Canadian-born were visiting their grandmother in Somaliland a small East African territory, an autonomous region within the borders of Somalia that considers itself independent.  According to their father Mohamed Noor his teen sons have been jailed in Africa for more than a month. Their summer vacation was interrupted on July 24 when the boys were taken from grandmother’s home by law enforcement officers on accusation of raping a young woman, and ever since has been locked up in an overcrowded Somaliland jail.

I am touched by this news because around 11.00PM Saturday night I received a call from my son, a first year student at the University of Ottawa, who told me he used to play basketball with one of the boys in Mississauga. My son was distraught and in a state of disbelief and wanted to know what he could do to help the boys. He told me he feels helpless after he read the news feed that was posted to Facebook about Liiban and Jamal.

My friends it is not unusual for us to feel helpless when we read of victims such as those caught in the terror attack in Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya or the two Canadian teens locked away in an overcrowded jail in Somaliland. It is not unusual for us to feel helpless when we hear sad stories about those who are less fortunate than ourselves. However, are we truly helpless?

The good news is we do not have to always feel helpless. I am firm believer that we can make our communities and our world a better place by helping those who are less fortunate than ourselves.  As a child growing up in rural Jamaica I remember the kindness of my grandmother.  She would always leave a plate of food from her dinner pot for the odd stranger or farmer on his or her way home after long day.  Also whenever she harvested her crops she would always pack a basket or two for her neighbours.  My mother was equally generous.  She would bake and share all her delectable goodies with neighbours. Children in the neighbourhood revered and adored her.

 Looking back I do not believe both my grandmother and mother had a lot to share but yet they were amazingly kind and caring to others. I have come to realize that to be kind and caring to others does not have to be demanding on you.  Inaction is unacceptable and it do not have to be costly and. Would you consider a smile or wishing someone a good day an act of kindness?  Occasionally on the GO train into Toronto I will merely offer a fellow commuter a gentle smile or wish him or her a fantastic day. As simple as this gesture is I never know the state of mind or stress that person is under or kind of the day ahead for that person. However, I still do it with the sincere hope the person will have a better day. In the Region of Peel I offer my time as a mentor college and high school students and for Toastmasters High Performance Leadership project this year I will be embarking on a food donation drive for the Salvation Army Food Bank.  I also make a duty whenever I go grocery shopping to always pick up non-perishable items and drop in the food bank box.  In addition, my wife frequently donates to the Canadian Diabetes Association.

Here is a picture of me teaching managers of microfinance institutions in Kandahar, Afghanistan. I hope this picture will inspire you today. At times we might feel helpless but small acts of kindness make our communities better and give us a sense of satisfaction and achievement.  Today I encourage you to smile with others, reach out and help others in your community.


Mark McKenzie is a leading Subject Matter Expert in financial services regulation and supervision as well as a professional motivational speaker, corporate trainer and youth mentor.  He can be contacted by email mastbmckenzie@gmail.com or by telephone 647-406-4622. Read my blog  http://mastbmckenzie.blogspot.ca/ and always write me a comment and share. Follow me on Twitter @mackynacky. Connect with me on www.youtube.com, Google+, Facebook and Linkedin.  

No comments: