Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Dreams and BlackBerry’s Demise

Hello friends, I trust that you had a wonderful day on Monday and that you enjoyed the pleasure of smiling and helping others.

Today I would like to share my thoughts on why you should never give up on your dreams.  I am dedicating my blog to the 4,500 people who are likely to be made redundant from BlackBerry due to the company’s continued demise. This blog post is also dedicated to all those people who are facing the consequences and economic ramifications associated with the possibility of the shutting down the government of United States of America if their politicians are unable to reach an agreement to avoid such a catastrophe.  To the 4,500 employees of BlackBerry and all of my readers facing unemployment I would like to encourage you never to give up on your dreams. Uncertain economic times and unemployment is one of the challenges of life or the adversities of life.

Eleanor Roosevelt  said “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” Despite the possibilities of unemployment you have to believe in your dreams. You have to believe there is a star shining for you ahead. You have to believe other employment opportunities will open up for you. You have to believe in second chances.

How many of you remember the Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010? Do you remember Joannie Rochette, Canadian figure skater whose mother died two days before the beginning of ladies' figure skating competition at the winter Olympics in Vancouver? Joannie Rochete chose to remain in the competition and skate in her mother's honour. She won a bronze medal.  Despite the challenges related to the sudden death of her mother Joannie never gave up her dreams.  Like Joannie you should not give up your dreams because of Blackberry’s demise and the risk of unemployment.

Despite the news on Monday of Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd.’s preliminary offer to buy BlackBerry Ltd. for $4.7-billion brush your resumes off and continue looking for other employment opportunities.  You should note that there are a lot of uncertainties with the news on Fairfax. Fairfax has six weeks to complete its due diligence before firming up its offer as well as it must also win the hearts and minds of potential equity partners. To staff of BlackBerry please do not let BlackBerry’s demise make you let go off your dreams. Never let go! You can still be what you want to be.  I have often heard Rick Warren, the author of the Purpose Driven Life, said “We become whatever we are committed to. Our commitments can develop us or they can destroy us, but either way, they will define you.”

In my life I have face many setbacks such as unemployment and financial losses but I have never lost sight of my dream. During such periods I am sometimes filled with doubts and asked myself the question "Should I Give Up My Dream?"  However, I use my strong will power and fierce determination to overwhelm my doubts.  I refuse to allow setbacks get in the way of my dreams. Faced with BlackBerry’s demise you may be asking yourself the same question but please use your will power and determination to cast doubt away.

Today I am sharing a picture of my wife in Ottawa earlier this month celebrating the start of our son’s first year at the University of Ottawa.  This is classic sign of the joy of persistently and consistently pursuing a dream. For the employees of BalckyBerry one day I want to see your happy dance. Please do not give up your dreams because of BlackBerry’s demise!



Mark McKenzie is a leading Subject Matter Expert in financial services regulation and supervision as well as a professional motivational speaker, corporate trainer and youth mentor.  He can be contacted by email mastbmckenzie@gmail.com or by telephone 647-406-4622. Read my blog  http://mastbmckenzie.blogspot.ca/ and always write me a comment and share. Follow me on Twitter @mackynacky. Connect with me on www.youtube.com, Google+, Facebook and Linkedin.  

No comments: