Monday, November 4, 2013

Don’t Fear Cannibalization, See it as Opportunities

Hello Friends I trust that you had a wonderful weekend and you will have a great week. I would also like to extend my deepest sympathies to the families and friends of TSA officer, Gerardo Hernandez and all those who were affected by the incomprehensible shooting at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Friday.

I had a relatively quiet weekend. On Saturday I spent most of the day with Marisa. I took her dancing in the morning. Later in the day we played Monopoly and Hedbanz as well as we did arts and craft while my wife went grocery shopping. Sunday morning I gave my wife coffee in bed before escaping to a quiet corner to write my blog and plan my week. We had pancakes for breakfast. The real treat at breakfast for Michelle, Marisa and I Sunday morning was seeing two deer racing across the lot near the back of our house, and one of the deer stopping to look in our direction as if it could sense how excited we were to see it.

My blog today is about cannibalization. I notice recently that my newer blog postings are cannibalizing my older postings. Over the past two weeks I noticed a decline in the number of views on some my older blog postings. I think the cannibalization of my older postings may be a signal of my ability to find interesting topics to blog about daily. Cannibalization is a term used in marketing to describe the decreased demand for an existing product that occurs when a firm releases a new and similar product.

I don’t fear cannibalization of my older postings. I see cannibalization as an opportunity as it forces me to be creative and innovative. According to John Paczkowski of www.allthingsd.com Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook said that it is “better to eat your own than have your own eaten by others.” Tim Cook sees cannibalization as a huge opportunity for Apple and Apple’s core philosophy is to never fear cannibalization because if Apple doesn’t do it, someone else will.

As a relatively new daily blogger I share Apple’s philosophy on product cannibalization. For me daily blogging is a hobby. I am passionate about blogging daily. I look forward to sharing my ideas and thoughts with you. It is the vehicle through which I participate in your dreams and cheer you on your path to success.

I am learning how the Internet works by blogging daily and unraveling some of the key success factors for successful businesses on the Internet. In an article titled “Twitter Founder Reveals Secret Formula for Getting Rich Online” by Ryan Tate on www.wired.com Evan Williams is reported to have told tech heads at the recent XOXO conference in Portland, Oregon that he figured out the internet. As Evan Williams suggested creativity and innovation is key but it is not about running around trying to do something no one else has ever done. The real trick is to find something that’s tried and true — and to do it better.

As a daily blogger one of the challenges I face is the risk of getting lost in the maze of cyber world and the abundant of information that is available to you as readers. To mitigate this risk I am forced to be creative and innovative in my ideas for topics to blog on and my key messages. I am learning to use the uncertainty surrounding the mechanics of the Internet as an advantage. I invest time in coming up my topics so that they serve as key attention grabbers. Once I come up with my topic or message for each blog I then challenge myself to present my content in such a way that you can relate to and appreciate it. Consequently, I don’t fear cannibalization of my older postings. I see cannibalization as an opportunity.

The truth is when I started blogging daily in September I did not truly understand how the Internet works. However, by taking action I am learning some important lessons including the reasons why my daily postings cannibalize my older blog postings. As an entrepreneur I am accustom to trying disconnected paths and hope that one day all of my experiences and dots will connect just as the late Steve Job said in his 2005 Stanford commencement speech. Ultimately I know I will yield something truly successful and great by blogging daily.

Don’t fear cannibalization of your ideas, see it as opportunities.

I would love to hear from you. Should I fear cannibalization of my blog postings? Are your ideas cannibalizing each other?

Mark McKenzie is a leading Subject Matter Expert in financial services regulation and supervision as well as a professional motivational speaker, corporate trainer and youth mentor.  He can be contacted by email mastbmckenzie@gmail.com or by telephone 647-406-4622. Read my blog  http://mastbmckenzie.blogspot.ca/ and always write me a comment and share. Follow me on Twitter @mackynacky. Connect with me on www.youtube.com, Google+, Facebook and Linkedin.

No comments: