Friday, November 29, 2013

Boris Johnson and Elitism

Hello friends, please allow me to express my deepest condolences to my brother, Paul and his family on the sad on news of the passing of my beloved sister-in-law, Linnitte. Please keep my brother and my precious nieces and nephews in your thoughts. 

I sincerely hope your week is ending much better than mine and that you will have a fun filled weekend. I am conflicted on whether I should finish my blog for today but I recognise I must remain strong for my brother and his children. Today I will coordinate with my Peter to make plans for my father to travel from Jamaica to join Paul and his family in Florida. I will also make arrangements for to be with Paul during his time of grief.

On a more positive note, my High Performance Leadership project Holiday Season Food Drive to benefit the Salvation Army of Brampton is going great. Yesterday I collected a box of non-perishable food items from the City of Mississauga Employees Toastmasters (COMET). My goal is to collect at least TEN 3.0 cubic feet (18 x 18 x 16) boxes of non-perishable food items to be delivered to the Salvation Army of Brampton by mid-December. 

Today, I would like to ask the question “Are some people too stupid to get ahead?” In a speech to the Centre for Policy Studies think-tank in London Boris Johnson, London mayor said he don’t believe economic equality will ever be possible because some people are too stupid to get ahead in the modern world. What do you think? Are cries of unpleasant elitism based on Boris Johnson’s comments justified?

I do believe some people make decisions that make it almost impossible for them to get ahead. Poor choices or decisions during this period of severe economic turbulence will result in serious hardship and poverty for some people. To compound matters the recent global economic crisis has resulted in high unemployment rates, reduction in wage levels and the lack of basic social amenities such as health care to so many people. Asset values including pension funds have been eroded and there is no doubt that many people will not reap the true benefits of the free market system. Increased competition from globalization aided by advances in technology necessitates a particular frame of mind for individuals to stay in the game and get ahead. Those who are unable to stay in the field of competition will faced with low paying jobs, heavy reliance on government social services and in some cases severe hardship. To remain in the game and to be serious competitor requires self-regulation, conscientiousness and diligence which I covered in my blog titled “My Wife’s 3 Incredible Gut Punches.” Obviously, stupidity, poor decisions or choices are clearly not included in the key factors for success.

As I noted in my blog titled “Ditch the Darn the Wheel of Fortune” you have to set goals and work damn hard to get ahead. There are no free lunches out there and very little margin for errors or poor choices. To get ahead and be successful requires an embodiment of determination, hard work, focus, diligence and consistency. To get ahead you have to respond to rapid changes around you. You have to be innovative and take risks. Read my blog titled “Rekindling A Childlike Approach to Success.” You have to develop an understanding how the Internet and social media is empowering others to get ahead. Read my blog titled “Don’t Fear Cannibalization, See it as Opportunities.” 

I believe if you work hard and if you are determined and focus you will get ahead. However, if you make poor choices life will be difficult.

What do you think? Is Boris Johnson an elitist? Are some people too stupid to get ahead?

Mark McKenzie is a leading Subject Matter Expert in financial services regulation and supervision as well as a professional motivational speaker, corporate trainer and youth mentor.  He can be contacted by email mastbmckenzie@gmail.com or by telephone 647-406-4622. Read my blog http://mastbmckenzie.blogspot.ca/ and always write me a comment and share. Follow me on Twitter @mackynacky. Connect with me on www.youtube.com, Google+, Facebook and Linkedin.

No comments: