Monday, March 8, 2010

Coping With My Loss

Challenges are what make life interesting, overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. In my last blog I promised to write about how I made over $500K and I am penniless. However I have decided blog about how I am now trying to cope with my loss and overcoming my challenges.

For me the single most important factor in healing from my losses and overcoming the challenges I face today is having the support of my friends and family. To be totally honest under normal circumstances I would be uncomfortable talking about my some my deepest feelings. However, I recognize the importance of expressing my grief to friends and family. I find that sharing my feeling makes the burden of grief easier to carry and help me restore a sense of hope and purpose. I have learnt that wherever the support comes from, I should accept it and I should not grieve alone. I know that by connecting to others it will help me heal.

For support I lean on the people who care about me, even though I take pride in being strong and self-sufficient. Speak with my brother Peter and my friends Owen H., Greg M. and Garfield M. helps to inspire and motivate me. However, given my current experience it is sometime difficult not to push loved ones away and avoid them because I feel angry. Sometimes I refused to accept the assistance my friends and family offered because I am ashame. Gradually I now realize that when faced with serious losses or a challenges, people want to help but they don’t know how. So now I tell them what I need. For example within the next two weeks I will need help to move to a rented house so I have asked a family member for help.


I also draw comfort from my faith. I find solace in prayer so I pray.

Since last week I have being blogging which is also now helping me in that it gives me something to look forward to.

One of my goals is to get back into motivational and inspirational public speaking within the next couple of weeks. I also would like to create a support group for people who has had similar experiences like mine.

And as you all know by now I had my first counseling session last week. If your grief feels like too much to bear, call a mental health professional with experience in grief counseling. An experienced therapist can help you work through intense emotions and overcome obstacles to your grieving.

Challenges are what make life interesting, overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. I am working towards overcoming my challenges and so should you.

No comments: