Sunday, March 9, 2014

Kindness

Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.”  ― George Sand


Thanks for your continued support and kind words of encouragement. My blog McKenzie’s Voice is now in its sixth month. I don’t have an email list to direct email my blog and I don’t spend time tracking traffic to my blog. However, I know from the emails I received that you enjoy reading my blog. I sincerely appreciate the time you take to read my blog and the encouraging emails you send me.

Last week Ambreen Khan sent me the following email:

Hi Mark,

I am truly impressed by your efforts for this noble cause. I was waiting for your Blog since 22nd Feb to know the details about the coldest night. The weather is too cold these days but I am happy, it wasn't that cold on 22nd and allowed you & other ambitious people like you to run for a noble cause. You all are awesome who participated in this walk,....especially your new friend John T. 

Truly Awesome!

Best Regards,

Ambreen

I am encouraged by your emails. I am committed to continue blogging and sharing positive messages that will keep you inspired and motivated.

It is easy for us to lose hope when we see and hear of the despair in our communities and around the world. There is severe poverty, malnutrition and pandemic of various diseases in some parts of Africa, Asia and Latin America. There is unrest in Syria, the Ukraine and other parts of the world. On Friday a Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew members, including 2 infants went vanishes from radar. Closer home as I walk to the office in the mornings I see homeless people sleeping on the side of the streets.

How do we remain positive and hopeful with such despair and sadness? How do we maintain hope in humanity?

I think one way is through kindness. Please allow me to share with you the simple acts of kindness I received last Friday in Guelph, Ontario.

Kindness is a virtue in many cultures and religions. It is a behaviour marked by ethical characteristics, a pleasant disposition, and concern for others. According to Aristotle’s Rhetoric, Book II kindness is defined as helpfulness towards someone in need, not in return for anything, nor for the advantage of the helper himself, but for that of the person helped. Acts of kindness does not only benefit receivers of the kind act, but also the giver who feels a sense of joy and contentment.

One of my core values is being kind to others. For this reason I have made it my duty to be actively involved in my community. In one of post titled 5 Wonderful Benefits of Community Involvement I listed the following benefits of being involved in your community:

  • It provides an opportunity to learn more about other cultures,
  • It provides an opportunity to make new friends
  • It provides an opportunity for me to practice my teaching skills and develop my community outreach skills
  • It provides me with an opportunity to contribute towards the growth of my community and its future
  • It provides a sense of satisfaction and excitement on the faces of those who I have inspired and empowered.

There is a sixth benefit that is derived from being involved in your community and that is the opportunity to experience the true kindness of humanity. Last Friday, I was reminded that an act of kindness never goes futile.

On Friday I had the opportunity to attend the Area 67, Division W, Toastmasters District Evaluation and Speech Contests in Guelph, Ontario at The Frank Hasenfratz Centre of Excellence in Manufacturing at Linamar. The event was organised by Harry Jansen and his amazing team of volunteers with kind support of the management and staff of Linamar. As the Area Governor I am responsible for hosting the event. Hosting such a successful event cannot be accomplished without an amazing team and the kindness of others.

On Friday I had to travel directly from work in Toronto, Ontario to Guelph. My project manager, Rudy Duschek, was kind enough to let me take off from work early to catch the 3.30pm bus from Union Station to Bramalea GO Station in Brampton. From there I boarded the number 39 Go Bus to Guelph Central GO. When I arrived at the Guelph station at 5.40pm Gary Tai, a member of Linamar Toastmasters Club, was waiting for me. Both Harry Jansen and Gary Tai went out of their ways to ensure that I arrived at the meeting facilities on time for our 6.30pm start time. As it turned out Gary and I had more in common than our interest in Toastmasters. We are connected by the country of our birth – Jamaica!


Grace Rasmussen and Jonathan Velasco also went above and beyond to ensure that all the contestants were briefed and that all the meeting roles were filled. Without their kindness I could not have hosted a successful Evaluation and Speech Contest. Their help and kindness made me feel special. But there was more kindness!

Once in Guelph, I had no way of getting back home to Brampton, Ontario after the contested end about 9.15pm. In stepped Isabel Hershaw and her husband, Bill. They welcomed me in their lovely home for the night. When we arrived at their home about 10.15pm, Isabel gave Bill and I each beer, while she sipped and tea. For the next hour or so they shared with me their wealth of experience in marriage and parenting. They spoke about their experience as immigrants. They spoke about the benefit of hard work and kindness. At 7am Saturday morning Bill made me coffee and breakfast. He then drove me to the Guelph Central GO Station. Before we hugged and bid each other goodbye, Bill who is 83 years old ensured that I boarded the right GO Bus.

The experience for me in Guelph, Ontario was heavenly. It inspire me to remain hopeful in mankind.

Please share your acts of kindness.

Mark McKenzie is a leading Subject Matter Expert in financial services regulation and supervision as well as a professional motivational speaker, corporate trainer and youth mentor.  He can be contacted by email mastbmckenzie@gmail.com or by telephone 647-406-4622. Read my blog  http://mastbmckenzie.blogspot.ca/ and always write me a comment and share. Follow me on Twitter @mackynacky. Connect with me on www.youtube.com, Google+, Facebook and Linkedin.

No comments: